Sunday, February 15, 2009

Finding the right apartment in Paris

Day 1 in Paris: I arrived at my apartment, a 10sqm flat with everything inside. It was nice, perfect for a student but to make a long story short,I didnt like it,i have a long list of reasons why i didnt like it but i opt to skip that. So i had to cancel my contract and got fined for the termination.
Moral of the story: Before you close a deal with a landlord over the net, it is best to look at the place first and go through the terms one by one.Get into details. Do not sign a deal unless you have seen the place. Before school starts, give at the least 2 weeks to settle in Paris, Best to book one of those student hostels temporarily while you look for a studette/flat. Believe me when I recommend this.I arrived a week before school started and it was a VERY tough time for me.
It really depends on what you are accustomed to then having to shift to something else, apart from the homesickness and jetlag, you may need time to recover from all of this first before you get into a lease contract.A few classmates have the same sentiment so be careful and give yourself time to decide.
Now, with the help of friends and family, i have found a pretty apartment with a good landlord, a place which i can call my temporary home for the next 8 months.. it is pretty far from the school but, i think that any arrondisement you choose is fine,the metro takes you everywhere, so its not such a big deal. You just have to make sure that it is in a safe neighborhood (generally Paris is a safe city, but just like anywhere else in the world, there are still notorious areas, just to make sure too especially if you are a young woman).

No comments:

Post a Comment