Thursday, February 19, 2009

week 1-2 at the pastry lab


school grounds,view from the kitchen.





my legs hurt, my body aches.,i feel like my nose is bleeding from the sudden influx of french terminology which i should comprehend at lightning speed.yes, this is how intensive the training is I feel like im in the survivor series, only in a kitchen setting.lol.
I get up at around 5 am to make it in time for the 7am call time in the lab.When its a day at the boulangerie, you have to be in school by 6am. It's considered a lucky day if u get a max of 30 mins for lunch at around 1pm(no other breaks).130-145 you get on with either oenology,french language classes, dessin(art/design classes).then you get off between5-7pm.I am overwhelmed with how much the Ferrandi program is putting into this.They certainly make sure you get your every euro spent worth it. The pastry program is amazing.The chefs are amazing. Very friendly but strict. Since the students have different backgrounds, they cater to every student's needs individually. We have made all kinds of tarts this past week, and although it is pretty fast paced inside the kitchen, you get individual hands on for each piece, start from scratch and compose the final piece.I will get into more detail over the weekend. Right now i just wanna drop dead on my bed and get as much rest and sleep i can to start fresh tomorrow. Here are a few pics in the lab.

fenny,kelly and me checkin out our tool kits

listening to Didier Averty(probably monkeying around again haha)
caf food!buffet style(neva gonna get so much again!)


chef Didier, me on the side, probably searchin for some tool.

the walk home, I leave the house before the sun comes, i journey home missing the day's sun!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, got a response from Stephanie..she has my stuff, so it is the long, painful wait to hear!!!! Reading your blog is awesome, and looks like the place to be. Gotta say, the getting up early part isnt what scares me - better start learning some French...Have the kitchen Cantonese worked out, better get me some par lay vousing going sharpish!!!

    ...the apartment search reminds me of first arriving in Hong Kong the first time I worked here...My first place was so bad, even the cockroaches were leaving!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete